You'll love this soup for its simplicity and the unexpected sweet and savory flavor combination. Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size: 10-12 oz.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4-5 each garlic cloves
- 1 each fennel bulb (stalks removed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 1/2 cups broth of choice (bone or vegetable broth)
- 2 each granny smith apples (chopped into bite size pieces)
- Place medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Add olive oil. Cook garlic until just brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cut fennel bulb (with some fennel leaves) to the pot, cook for 3-5 minutes until brown.
- Add broth and bring heat up to high to create a roaring boil for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once soup has developed more flavor and has slightly reduced, reduce heat to a low simmer and add chopped granny smith apples.
- Simmer for about 10 more minutes until apples have softened. Puree with an immersion blender for a smooth texture, or keep it simple and leave as is.
Nutrition Information: Fennel and apples make it rich in gut-friendly prebiotics. Makes a fantastic starter or side soup to any entree. Gluten-free, nut free, dairy free. Calories: 170, Fat: 5g, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrates: 31g, Fiber: 6g, Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 520mg