Skill Level: Intermediate Serving Size: 10-12 oz.
- 3 T. Olive oil, separated
- 10 Garlic cloves, minced
- 6 Parsnips, peeled, cut into thirds, medium diced
- 6 Carrots, peeled, cut into thirds, medium diced
- 1 Red onion, julienned
- 1/3 to ½ cup AP flour
- 6-8 oz. Cooking wine, red
- 8 Red potatoes, small, medium diced
- 2 lbs. Beef tips, grass-fed or local if possible
- 8-10 cups Vegetable or beef stock, homemade or purchased
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Mince garlic followed by medium dicing the parsnips, carrots and julienne
- the onion. Mix together.
- Preheat large stockpot to medium high heat. Add 2 T. olive oil followed by
- the previously diced vegetables, including the garlic. Stir and cook for 5-7
- minutes, until fragrant.
- Add additional 1 T. of olive oil to the pan followed by the AP flour to create
- a roux. Continue to stir and drag the spoon at the bottom of the pan to
- ensure everything is mixing together. Cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with cooking wine. Bring heat slightly down, to medium
- While everything is marinating together, cook beef tips separately in a cast
- iron pan or sauté pan over medium high heat. Season as desired (salt
- and pepper).
- Once cooked, roughly 4-6 minutes, add to the stockpot. Stir.
- Add broth to pan followed by the potatoes. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Season to taste
- (salt and pepper). Serve immediately.
- This will freeze well if cooled down properly then stored in freezer friendly
This stew is warm, cozy and provides potassium, vitamin A, and essential amino acids. Nut free, dairy free. To make gluten-free, use quinoa flour. Nutritional information: Calories: 330 Fat: 9 gms Protein: 22 gms Carbohydrates: 39 gms Fiber: 5 gms Added Sugar: 0 gms Sodium: 580 mgs