Skill Level: Beginner
- 16 oz. Black beans, canned
- ¼ each Yellow onion, medium diced
- 1 T. Garlic, minced
- 1 sprig Fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Ground chili powder
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 4-6 T. Olive oil
- 2 T. Honey, local
- to taste Salt and pepper
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat oil to moderate to high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, seasonings and sauté for 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add black beans with liquid and bring to low boil, reduce heat to a soft simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a food blender, place black beans inside blender while still hot and puree until smooth consistency.
- Taste, adjust seasonings, serve.
Servings: 2-4 Serving Size: ¼ to ½ cup Nutrition Information: Black beans contain protein, dietary fiber, iron, potassium and work extremely well as a puree. Gluten-free, nut free, dairy free.