Eat this vegetarian protein on its own, or try it in tacos, sandwiches, wraps, salads – the possibilities are endless. Adjust spices according to your taste. Note that different brands and types of tempeh vary in flavor, ingredients, and nutritional value. We find that local and organic brands are the best-tasting and most nutritious.Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size: 4 oz.
- 1 lb tempeh, cut into uniform strips or cubes
- 1/4 cup avocado oil, separated
- 2 T. blackening seasoning or seasoning of choice
- Coat each piece of tempeh with oil and seasoning: if you're using cubes, toss them in a mixing bowl. If using strips, baste them with oil and sprinkle with an even coat of seasoning on both sides. Start with half of the oil; use more if you need it.
- Preheat large saute pan to medium heat. Add remaining oil.
- Sear tempeh on both sides, stirring or flipping at necessary, until pieces are a dark golden brown (3-7 minutes, depending on the size and shape of your tempeh).
- Optional: if your tempeh browns on the outside before it is heated all the way through, spread it over a baking sheet and bake in 350 degree oven until desire temperature is reached.
Nutrition Information: Tempeh is a fermented soybean product that is higher in protein than other vegetarian products. Some brands are gluten-free while others are not. Dairy-free. Double check label for gluten-free and nut free. Calories: 360, Fat: 25g, Protein: 20g, Carbohydrates: 16g, Fiber: varies (based on type & brand of tempeh), Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 150mg