Roasted and mashed, it makes a versatile, nourishing side dish.Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe.
- 1 medium butternut squash, halved and de-seeded
- 4 cups your choice of broth or bone broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 T. oil avocado or olive
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay out squash on a sheet pan, cut side up. Drizzle with one tablespoon of the grapeseed oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 40-45 minutes.
- Saute onions and garlic while the squash is roasting: add the remainder of the grapeseed oil to a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Remove from heat.
- Allow the butternut to cool after roasting. Once it's cool enough to handle, scoop out the roasted flesh. Add to blender with onions, garlic, and broth (it may be necessary to blend in batches. You can also use an immersion blender). Blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information: Butternut squash is rich in vitamin A, an essential nutrient promoting optimal cellular turnover. Gluten-free, dairy free, nut free. Calories: 160, Fat: 2.5g, Protein: 7g, Carbohydrates: 35g, Fiber: 6g, Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 580mg