This composed meal is a great option for satisfying BBQ cravings without as much starch. If you want to add a starch, add corn tortillas or make a small burrito. Skill Level: Intermediate. Serving Size: Composed lettuce wraps (evenly distributed ingredients).
BBQ Sauce (use 1/4 cup for each wrap)
- 1 can tomato sauce, 16 oz
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2 T. worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 T. avocado oil
- 4-5 large leaves Boston/Bibb lettuce, for wrapping
- Simply whisk together at room temperature. Can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to one week.
- Place chicken breasts in a large saucepan. Pour in just enough water to cover.
- Place chicken over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Keep at a rapid simmer until the chicken meat is no longer pink, about 10-12 minutes. You can always prepare chicken breast however you prefer, making sure they are cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees before shredding.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a bowl (draining any excess water first). Once the chicken breasts are cool, use two forks to shred them thoroughly.
- Heat avocado oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent (2-3 minutes).
- Add carrots; cook for another minute.
- Add the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce to the onion and carrots. Bring to a gentle boil until the BBQ sauce reduces, usually about 5-10 minutes.
- Scoop chicken into lettuce leaves. Drizzle with additional BBQ sauce if desired.
Nutrition Information: Gluten-free, dairy free, nut free. Calories: 230, Fat: 8g, Protein: 28g, Carbohydrates: 11g, Fiber: 2g, Added Sugar: 2g, Sodium: 160mg