Reminiscent of gazpacho, this chilled soup is memorable for its gorgeous color and unique sweet and tart flavor. Skill Level: Intermediate. Serving Size: 8-10 oz.
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 fennel bulbs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 T. fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups strawberries, halved (local if possible)
- 2 T. honey (local if possible)
- 1 T. sorghum syrup (local if possible)
- 1/2 can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 8 oz. coconut or almond milk beverage, unsweetened
- 3 T. fresh tarragon, torn
- Salt to taste
- Bring a 4-quart pot to medium high heat.
- Add olive oil, and then add the fennel, onion, ginger, and cinnamon stick.
- Cook vegetables until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the strawberries.
- Continue to cook down until strawberries have softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add all liquids, tarragon, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook until everything is hot and slightly reduced (about 5-10 minutes).
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth (alternative: puree in batches in a tabletop blender).
- Allow soup to sit for about 20-30 minutes. Pour soup into sealed containers then chill for at least 24 hours to allow the flavors to develop overnight.
- Serve chilled with more fresh strawberries and tarragon.
Nutrition Information: Provides antioxidant Vitamin C, heart- and brain-healthy monounsaturated fat, dietary fiber, and magnesium. Gluten free, dairy free. Calories: 100, Fat: 11g, Protein: 1g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 2g, Added Sugar: 5g, Sodium: 50mg