Protein-rich lunch bowls inspired by flavors from the Mediterranean. For a vegetarian option, omit shrimp/meat and add extra lentils (or swap the meat for tempeh). Remember to plan ahead – lentils need time to soak!
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onions, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. lentils, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 oz. shrimp, poached and chopped OR chicken breast (baked and diced)
- ½ cup olives, halved
- 1 avocado, diced (add fresh lime juice to preserve)
- 1 ear of corn, roasted in husk, cooled, kernels removed
- Preheat a large pot to medium high heat. Add olive oil followed by the carrots, onion, celery, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils (soaked, rinsed) and cover with water (just enough water to cover).
- Cook on low for 60-90 minutes until lentils are done.
- Once done, assemble a bowl of the following: ½ cup cooked lentils (feel free to drain the stock), 2 T. feta, ¼ cup tomatoes, 2 T. olives, 2 T. corn, ¼ diced avocado, 2 oz. diced protein of choice.
Nutrition Information: This composed dish is high in dietary fiber, vitamin E and protein. Gluten-free, nut free.
- Calories: 420
- Fat: 20 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 1,300 mg