Juicy seared steak, whole ancient grains, crisp vegetables, and simple lemon-olive oil dressing – this is one meal where every ingredient satisfies and nourishes! Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size: composed salad + 5 oz. pan seared flat iron steak.
- 1 cup kamut, or other whole grain (quinoa, sorghum, etc.)
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 cups mixed greens
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ lbs flat iron steak, local and grass-fed if possible
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Cook kamut or whole grain of desire and set aside to cool.
- Preheat large cast iron pan to medium-high heat.
- Liberally season flat iron steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Pan sear flat iron steak: cook for at least 4 minutes on each side. Cook to medium rare or desired doneness. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside to cool/rest before slicing.
- Combine cooled grain with the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Evenly distribute the salad among 4 bowls or plates.
- Top each salad with 5 oz. of cooked flat iron steak (slice against the grain to retain the juices). Enjoy!
Nutrition Information: We frequently recommend consuming red meat once or twice a week. It is an excellent source of protein, iron, and vitamin B12. Local and/or grass-fed beef is ideal because it is higher quality and more nutrient dense. Dairy free, nut free.
- Calories: 420
- Fat: 24 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 660 mg