If you're a pumpkin fan, you'll love this pretty dessert with all the flavors of fall! Makes an excellent addition to your Thanksgiving spread. Plan ahead for this one – you'll have to put together individual layers ahead of time. Skill Level: Intermediate. Serving Size: composed dessert (evenly distribute components, store extra pecans)
- 2 cans full-fat coconut cream, or 4 cans of full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- 1/2 packet gelatin, pure, unflavored (1/2 oz)
- 3 T. 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger, dried
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup pecans, unsalted
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 T. 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp. ground ginger, dried
- Bloom the gelatin according to the package directions.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the pumpkin puree, 1/2 T. of the maple syrup, half of the vanilla, and all of the spices.
- Heat mixture over medium, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- When the mixture is warm (around 180-200 degrees) add the bloomed gelatin and whisk to combine. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make the candied pecans (up to a day in advance): whisk egg white in a small bowl until frothy. Add pecans, maple syrup, and ginger and stir, making sure nuts are lightly coated with the egg mixture.
- Spread the nuts out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, stirring once about halfway through.
- You want the nuts to be crisp and aromatic, but be careful not to let them burn. (You only need half these nuts from this recipe. Use the rest for another purpose, like topping a kale salad. Store these nuts in an airtight jar until you use them.)
- Place a metal bowl and whisk in the freezer for a few minutes to chill. Carefully open the coconut cream or milk cans and discard any watery liquid. Place the remaining coconut fat/solids into your chilled bowl.
- Add 1 T. of the maple syrup and 1/2 tsp. of vanilla to the coconut cream. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold about 1 cup of the coconut cream into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture into a small, clear serving dish or eight demitasse cups. Layer the coconut whipped cream on top, then sprinkle with candied pecans.
Nutrition Information: Plan on preparing the pumpkin layer a day in advance and cooling it overnight, layering with fresh coconut whipped cream and topping with nuts shortly before serving. Gluten-free, dairy free. Calories: 360, Fat: 17g, Protein: 2g, Carbohydrates: 51g, Fiber: 1g, Added Sugar: 7g, Sodium: 35mg