Shepherd's Pie is classic comfort food. Our version uses ground turkey and plenty of vegetables for maximum nourishment. Skill Level: Intermediate. Serving Size: 1/6th of casserole pan.
- 4 medium yellow squash/summer squash, thinly sliced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups green beans, trimmed and diced
- 10 oz. ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. sage, dried and ground
- 1 Tbsp. thyme, dried and ground
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 13" x 9" glass casserole pan (or use non-stick casserole pan).
- In small mixing bowl, toss yellow squash in 1 tsp. of olive oil and a small amount of salt, pepper, sage, and thyme.
- In separate small bowl, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tsp. of olive oil and a small amount of salt, pepper, sage and thyme.
- Preheat large stock pot or very shallow sauté pan to medium heat. Add small amount of olive oil and cook carrots, parsnips, onion, and garlic (stirring occasionally) until tender.
- Add ground turkey to mixture and cook until turkey is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Once turkey is cooked, add green beans and remaining salt, pepper, sage and thyme.
- Add chicken stock to pan and bring to a boil. Allow the liquid to reduce for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In your casserole pan, add a single layer of yellow squash to the bottom.
- Add the meat and vegetable filling in an even layer on top of the yellow squash.
- Top the meat and vegetable filling with a single layer of sweet potatoes.
- Place pan in oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes have browned/roasted.
- Remove from oven and serve! Enjoy!
Nutrition Information: This dish is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and dietary fiber. Feel free to add more ground turkey or substitute for ground chicken if desired. Gluten-free, dairy free, nut free.
- Calories: 230
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 430 mg