This meal has three components, but each one of them is simple to prepare. When you want a healthy, summer-ready burger recipe, this one is perfect. Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size (composed plate): 2 bibb lettuce, ½ cup total vegetables, ½ cup guacamole, 5-6 oz. burger, 1 Tbsp. red pepper coulis.
Burgers & Veggies
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 large zucchini squash
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1 pint mushrooms
- 12 each Bibb lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
Guacamole (mix all ingredients together in mixing bowl and set aside – mash to texture of choice)
- 3 avocados, flesh removed, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, deseeded, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- Salt, pepper, and ground cumin, to taste
Red Pepper Coulis (you will have extra – makes 2 cups)
- 2 red peppers, fire roasted (roast over grill or gas flame, 2-3 minutes each side cool peppers in saran wrap – be careful of the heat)
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. allspice powder
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Prepare Red Pepper Coulis first. Remove red peppers from saran wrap and remove the skin. (It should come off easily).
- Place roasted red peppers in blender or food processor. Add vinegar, salt, paprika, and allspice to blender. Puree 20 seconds.
- To finish coulis, slowly add 1/3 cup of olive oil to the blender, continuing to blend throughout. It should take 2-3 minutes to do this: adding oil slowly helps maintain the silky texture and emulsion. Set coulis aside.
- Prepare guacamole by mashing all ingredients together to desired consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Form turkey into 6 oz. patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sear patties on both sides, over high heat grill or cast iron pan, 3-4 minutes per side. Finish cooking burgers in the oven (5-8 minutes). Allow burgers to rest for 10 minutes before eating.
- Cook vegetables to your liking. At Skyterra, we grilled the zucchini and sautee the mushrooms and onion in the olive oil.
- Assemble everything. To plate: Bibb lettuce (2 per person) + grilled zucchini + ½ cup guacamole + burger + 2 Tbsp. cooked onions and mushrooms + 1 Tbsp. red pepper coulis. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information: This composed meal provides essential amino acids, antioxidant vitamins E and C, dietary fiber, and adequate fat to support hunger regulation and over-satiety. Gluten-free, nut free, dairy free.
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 24 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 360 mg