Are you a meat-and-potatoes person? Or maybe you just have a burger craving, and you're looking for an option that incorporates more color and nutrition? Look no further than this veggie-laden burger plate. Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size: composed plate of 4 oz. turkey burger + ½ roasted sweet potato + ~ ¾ cup roasted green beans + ¼ cup cooked grain (optional) + ¼ cup caramelized onion + tomato and lettuce + ¼ avocado.
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil, separated
- 2 sweet potatoes, medium, cut into fries or thin wedges
- 1 tsp. salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 lb green beans, fresh, rinsed, ends trimmed
- 2 red onions, julienned
- 1 lb ground turkey, formed into four patties (about 4 oz. each)
- 1 cup cooked whole grain of choice (e.g. quinoa, barley, farro, rice – optional)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Optional: cook whole grain of choice and set aside.
- First, get the sweet potatoes and green beans in the oven to roast. Place each vegetable on separate baking sheets. Season each with about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and salt/pepper to taste.
- Place baking sheets in the oven and roast for about 15-20 minutes, until veggies are softened and beginning to turn golden brown. (Check on vegetables after 10 minutes and every 5 minutes after that.) Flip/turn occasionally. The green beans will likely be ready before the sweet potato fries.
- While vegetables are roasting, bring large sauté pan to medium heat. Add 1 tsp. of oil followed by the red onion. Cook onion low and slow until caramelized (soft and deep golden brown), about 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat cast iron pan or grill to high heat. Season both sides of turkey patties with salt and pepper. Sear on both sides for 4-6 minutes. Finish in the oven if needed (until desired doneness), another 5-8 minutes.
- Assemble plate with lettuce, tomato and burger topped with caramelized onion and avocado. Serve with roasted vegetables and whole grain if desired.
Nutrition Information: This composed meal is rich in vitamin C, potassium vitamin E, protein, and dietary fiber. Gluten-free (depending on grain), dairy free, nut free.
- Calories: 500
- Fat: 25 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 600 mg