Chili is a great staple dish to have in your home cooking repertoire. It's tasty, satisfying, inexpensive, and makes great leftovers. Plus, there are so many different ways to make it. This recipe is a crowd pleaser because it has ground meat and traditional spices while packing in the veggies, too. Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size: 3/4 - 1 cup chili; 1 slice toast
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion , diced
- 4 garlic cloves , peeled and chopped
- 6 Roma tomatoes , diced
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/4 tsp. chicken paste/base
- spice blend: onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, ancho powder, and ground thyme , each to taste
- 2 cups cooked lima beans , or beans of choice
- 1 zucchini , diced
- 1 summer squash , diced
- 10 slices sourdough bread , toasted
- In large stock or large pot, bring heat to medium. Add olive oil and cook onion and garlic until slightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground turkey. Break up and stir until combined. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season the ingredients with spices, dried herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Add water to the pot – add until water covers all of the ingredients so far. Add less if you like a really chunk chili, add more if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Bring heat up to a simmer. Simmer until ¼ of the liquid as reduced.
- Add beans, zucchini and summer squash and cook additional 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy with toasted sourdough.
Nutrition Information: This hearty meal works great for any time of year, but especially for winter months. Use a mixture of beans if desired. This recipe provides a good source of iron and potassium! Nut-free, dairy free. Calories: 350, Fat: 12g, Protein: 31g, Carbohydrates: 29g, Fiber: 4g, Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 540mg