This protein-rich soup is a sneaky way to include lots of vegetables in one dish. You can make it with chicken or pork and adjust the heat by using fewer jalapenos. Skill Level: Intermediate. Serving Size: ~ 1 ½ cups.
- 6 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 3 jalapenos, stems removed (optional for extra heat)
- 2 poblano peppers, stems removed
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 T. fresh garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 T. olive or avocado oil
- 2 ½ lbs. pork shoulder, cut into bite size pieces (can also use pork tenderloin or boneless chicken thighs)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups water (or more depending on how thin or thick you want the sauce)
- 2 T. lime juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Make the Chili Verde
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place whole tomatillos and peppers on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, turning the vegetables over halfway through.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and cover with plastic wrap. Let this sit for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Uncover and remove as much of the skin from the peppers as you can.
- You can also remove the seeds of any peppers if you don’t want it too spicy.
- Transfer the roasted vegetable to a blender or large food processor. Add the remaining chili verde ingredients. Blend until smooth.
Cook the Protein & Allow to Simmer
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat.
- Add cooking oil and pork (or chicken) to the pot. Season generously with salt and pepper. Sear the meat on all sides until nicely browned.
- Add the prepared chili verde to the pot and mix thoroughly, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot with a spoon so you get all the brown bits.
- Cover the pot and lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 2-3 hours, until the pork or chicken is very tender.
- Add the water, lime juice and cilantro. Stir until combined. Taste and season with more salt if necessary.
- Add a touch of apple cider vinegar if you want, but it isn’t necessary.
Nutrition Information: This comforting soup is high in protein and provides a sneaky amount of vegetables coming from the tomatillos and peppers. Gluten- free, nut free, dairy free. Calories: 330, Fat: 21g, Protein: 27g, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 480mg